1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Why was Gr Ch May Day ROM a monster?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Riptora, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Okay, there has to be a reason this dog was so huge. Him and his offspring are very large and have a distinct "look". I can't tell what the dam looked like or how large she was, so I am wondering...

I also noticed that a lot of May Day's competitors were quite large, but some were much smaller than him. We're not talking just a little off of the set standard, but a very significant size increase. Am I missing something? Or is this a topic that's been best left alone?

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

What are you implying, that he is a Fila or mixed-breed? LOL

The "Yellow" dogs tend to run larger, and do have a very distinct look. Look how tightly most of these dogs are bred, and it becomes obvious as to why. Hell, Cuda looks like a damn coonhound, but he was phenomenal where it mattered-and it isnt standing in a conformation ring.

3. Mott's APBT's

Mott's APBT's Big Dog

and cuda is a little tiny dude beleive it or not

4. Mayday was a 'monster' because he WANTED to be :) Seriously....the dog wasn't that big.

There are game dogs out there who throw 65 pounders....not unrealistic or exclusive to the Mayday/Yellow lines either. I wish I still had a piece of that Mayday blood :(

5. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I'm just questioning why, I'm not implying crap, I hardly even know anything about these bloodlines!
    I'm not saying he is mixed at all, apparently both sides of the ped are from very reputable lines, but why is the dog so big? Aren't both sides average in size? I don't know enough about genetics, so how did this happen? Just curious... I'm also wondering if this is becoming more typical, I didn't realize that this breed is growing in size. Most breeds maintain a steady weight unless breeders intentionally breed for larger dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  6. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

"In my Exp, No they are not ......IMO Mayday,was a fluke of his own genetics."
    Simms responce in a previous thread...

probably about right there.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --><!-- sig -->

7. simms

simms CH Dog

I was reffering to the size of Mayday himself. Its hype if you think the line runs large, unless you are handling 30lbs dog...LOL In my Experience thay are average size, but to me average is between 40-55 above that is tippin large. As far distinct look? I dont get that...All around good line to work within that consitantly throws dogs that meet and excel the APBT standard.

Edit: But hey, its all my oppinion and experience.....doesnt make it gospel

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  8. blkdog

blkdog Pup

mayday was big because he was born that way..his dam was a smaller dog, and grch yellow, his sire wasnt his size also..the reason alot of big ones come from him, is because he is replicating himself in some of the offspring..he was a catch weight dog, thus the variation in dogs he met..he is a big pit, but not out of the ordinary, just a bigger dog..the average is around 40lbs..seen them from 16lb to 65lb conditioned..the last litter i bred was a 41lb male over a 46lb dam, i got 4 males from 45-56lb and a 42 and 45 lb females..dont know were the size came from, but they are linebred so its in the blood somewere..doesnt mean i wont breed one of these say 55lb males and not get a few 30lb offspring..the biggest males ive ever bred was out of a 40lb male bred to a 35lb dam..got 2 over 60lb from that...lol...as for the breeding on mayday, his sire was one of the best allround dogs of his time who was sired by another great all round dog ..ch yellow john rom..who was triple bred redboy, maydays bottom is good tight patrick blood without the performance of the top side, but quality none the less..i dont have any of the mayday blood, i have different redboy/jocko/patrick blood, but i have a few friends with the blood, asnd i like a few of them..

9. [​IMG]

Here's a pic of Mayday bred back to his mom, Dolly.

10. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I thought anything over 55-60 was big but he was about 75 I guess. He looks like a monster too! I think that himself and all his decendents ( that I know of ) all look very similar and have a certain, distinct look. I can't be the only one that sees an obvious family resemblence in this line that is unique to it.

There's no debate that he well earned the ROM title.

11. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

LOL! They're practically twins! Doesn't look like a very enjoyable experience! ( Look at May Day's face )

thanks

12. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Many tight bred dogs look alike!!! Many Nigerino dogs have a "distinct" look. Many Buck dogs have a distinct look!! Many Redboy dogs have a distinct look, etc. ,etc.!! Think about it. What do you honestly think a dog with Mayday showing up twice in 2 generations will probably look like???? Ain't no conspiracy, no secret, no mystery.

13. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I couldn't find a pic or the size of the dam. So until now I thought that the ped was all normal sized animals. I'm more content now.

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

To me 60 plus is pretty big too, I just dont prefer dogs that big if you can help it (which you cant,lol). The reason you notice certain traits in the good Mayday dogs is because the ones that are successful are throwbacks to him in almost every way. The winners are the big, buckskin/black mask, ugly, floppy eared dogs...and I'd own one in a heartbeat!

15. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Yellow was about 55 lbs. I don't remember about Dolly, but I believe she was about 50lbs also.

16. Sometimes down the line you get a freak....and sometimes this freak can fight.And so the freak is able to change the line WITHOUT the need to put strange blood in.

17. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Mayday was 75lbs on the chain but performance weight 55-60lbs. Also yes Mayday dogs do have that certain distinct look of Yellow/Hollingsworth. Although Mayday can throw dogs as big as himself it usually depends on the bitch you breed em too as I seen Mayday dogs from 38-70lbs.

18. simms

simms CH Dog

To me that's what a bulldog supposed to look like, I get the argument and the point. I just dont get why it was said or asked...LOL

60lbs is large.

.....he's a perrty yeller dog :)

19. strom22

strom22 Pup

mayday was a 4 way cross of 4 different great bloodlines a.k.a. scatterbreed, i think thats why he was so big he got that hybrid vigor

20. GACAM

GACAM Big Dog

theres two by my house nobody even realizes that there pitbull im think about getting one, cuz i dont have to worry about the people around me knowing what breed it is. because it does not look like what they exspect to see