1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wide Chests

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 14rock, Dec 30, 2004.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Got to thinking of something the other day. Why are wide chests so sought after by many pit bull owners? Wouldnt a smaller chest be better in a [] dog so its harder to get a chest hold? Or is it just an appearance thing with people concerned with ''the biggest baddest pitbull'' ?

2. Vador

Vador Big Dog

personally? Its probably more of an appearance thing I could be wrong though. But a larger chest denotes a stronger dog as well, at least looks wise.

3. I heard of different speculations about a wide chest. They are:

wider chest = wider stance = harder to knock over
    wider chest = more room for lungs = more wind

Are those speculations true? I don't know since [] winners do come in different shapes and sizes.

4. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

wider chest = more room for lungs = more wind

That's the one! But only in moderation...if the dog has a chest that is so wide or that he begins to loose movement, than it's obviously gone too far. The desire of a pit with a deep chest is the same...but again in moderation (for the same reason and also because typically the deeper the chest, the higher the risk for bloat/torsion). Moderation is the key (as it so often is).

Those are the reasons for educated pit bull owners/breeders anyway. Those Gotti freak shows you see are simply bred that way because apparently there are many men (and perhaps women) out there who don't feel adequate without a gaint, overdone, ridiculous looking dog by their sides.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2004
  5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Wow I love this site, a good answer for every one of my beginner questions. This is by far the best pit website I have ever stumbled across-thanks for the info-GO GAME-DOG!

6. Bumped this one because I miss 14Rock.......If you read this buddy, I hope things are looking better for you these days.:)

7. forty6mantis

forty6mantis Big Dog

good bump rocky.

8. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

I heard that a deeper chest is better than a wide one, to allow for more lung capacity.

9. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

So have I.

10. TNK

TNK Pup

Pure Speculations at best :rolleyes:
    Simply Comprehension of Canine Anatomy easily dispels both . . . . .

11. peppapig

peppapig Banned

many dogs breeds are known for thier wide broad chests.....but certainly not known for stamina....

12. peppapig

peppapig Banned

prime example-the kc show stafford...

13. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

i alway herd wide chest= big lungs= more air. But the only dogs i see with a wide chest is those blue mutts. And we all know those dogs dont have any stamia

14. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

It's not a wide chest for lungs it's a deep chest. The bullies are over done and over weight. To much muscle on a bully or a gamedog either one is not a good thing either just creates more weight to carry causing them to tire quicker.

15. peppapig

peppapig Banned

is it not more muscle uses more oxygen when working causing to tire quicker??

16. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

Bohawg i said that is what i heard not what i Believe. all of my dogs have deep chest and tons of stamia. Sarge weights 46lbs at 12months old and his dad weights 42lbs Condition and sasy weights 38lbs chain so i think i know what true apbt look like! i hate over done mutts.

17. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

bohawg also keep on schoolin newbes bc that is the only way we can make r breed Better

18. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

It's a "appearance" thing, with those that brag on chest width. I think they must equate a big, broad chest on a dog with that of a man -- they think THAT looks cool and impressive, so it must be the same on a dog. It looks deformed, IMO; but they will never "get it".

From the front, the chest of a dog should appear oval, not round. There must be enough width to house lungs and heart, but that's about it. Anything more is too much and takes away from agility and endurance and the ability for the legs to move freely -- an important aspect when conditioning.

Dreamer

19. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

Look at the greyhound's chest that was bred to have great lung capacity

20. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

wider chest so they can eat more food cause them bullys are known to carry a feed bill

:):):D