1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Will you breed or go to an outcross

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mr.cujo, Nov 4, 2015.

1. mr.cujo

mr.cujo Pup

I was wondering what would others do if you have been breeding a line of dogs and you want to keep it super tight and the only dog you can get to Is one that didn't make the cut you gave to a family member who just wanted a dog. Would you breed to it for what you need or do you go find another stud? I know it sounds a little crazy but was just thinking would you breed one that didn't make the cut. He is up in age and you wanted to get closer to a breeding you did before

2. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

if they were real good I would breed to him you stand a chance of 50 % top notch .some are stubborn and will not start or start way late I had rosema that did not want anything to do with it then at 7 years turned on like fire out of nowhere. of course it would depend how long you are into the line I always tried to find ways to improve the line and you can't just keep adding the same ingredients and expect improvement ..but if you feel you are already there ? But if you already have him as an example then maybe it's time to shop .. That you should know or you wouldn't be asking ..

3. mr.cujo

mr.cujo Pup

I know what I would do. Just wondering what other thoughts was. Of course it should have had an outing in it. But to throw an dog that didn't make the cut back in it. I couldn't get it all out when I first was writing.

4. mr.cujo

mr.cujo Pup

Not every dog in the litter goin make the cut and I'm talking about years that go by and you wanted to bring what you like out that blood back to what you breeding now. Simple question would you breed a dog that didn't make the cut but you like what the blood he come from produced back into your stock

5. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Breeding too tight has no longevity, maybe a couple generations at most...
    Linebreeding for characteristics you chose and outcrossing for the traits your family lacks will help the diversity, find what you like and repeat...
    Its both a crap shot and a choice of what your looking for...

6. mr.cujo

mr.cujo Pup

If what I had in the beginning wasn't there I would breed to him and take the best out that litter and keep him

7. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

This reminds me of a situation I was in. I bought 3 littermates 2 made the cut by my standards, very exceptional dogs. However 1 was not up to par for me but not a total wreck. After the better 1 past I only had his brother left. I wanted this blood bad... like an idiot I got rid of him and regretted not breeding him to his sis and culling and keeping the best. I regret it to this day. If that line is what u like it might be worth a try.

The reason why I didn't breed him at the time was because I didn't want to add his characteristics in the line.

Even if I got what I wanted, bred that particular dog it would possibly throw the sire leaving me to cull more.

If he didn't make the cut would you be okay raising more of what you didn't want is the question.
    All I'm saying is if it is a crap shoot put the odds in your favor by breeding the best you can. IMO

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I'd try it if I thought it would be worth it.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

9. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

What good is the blood if the hound isn't any good..and two years to find out that the pup r just like there sir!!!!!!!

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Honestly I would just outcross ,I see no reason you can't find the right stud dog for a out.Most of these bloodlines are related anyways.

11. mr.cujo

mr.cujo Pup

It is a shot in the dark. I have had a dogs get stuck on accident. "Wasn't thinking because I let the stud be around the female so it would be easy to breed without a stand." Long ass chain. But what I was saying is that I would have never did the breeding ever and it out perfomed some of my planned breedings

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Good post.

13. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I said most bloodlines are related well they all go back to the same dogs.What I meant to say is some bloodlines are closer related than others.

14. mr.cujo

mr.cujo Pup

Yeah you right most do

15. Mop Master

Mop Master Yard Boi AKA MopMaster, Gutter Boy & LWG

Why not just get some new dogs that are worth a shit?

16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

The question really doesn't make since if you think about it.I mean just because you gave a dog to a friend ,the blood don't change .Its still the same blood you already got so you just breeding yourself further in a corner.The best thing to do is not breed yourself into a corner..just my 2 cents.

17. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Lmfao.. If you've bred dogs down to where there's only one candidate left to continue with then the line might not be worth continuing on with. Very good point here.

18. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Don't talk about his Wildside dogs like that lol

19. Mop Master

i just dont know why it has to be one or the other......

20. Mop Master

treez, were you sure to welcome this guy to game dog? lol