1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Will you look at the size of that chain!

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by kensloft, Mar 11, 2006.

1. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

2. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

The only time that I have ever hit my dog occurred one night when he was about eight months old.

I heard a noise downstairs, got up and went to investigate. It was dark and the dog met me downstairs. Being nude he espied this dangly thing or protuberance and decided to check it out with his teeth.

I felt the teeth and simultaneously my hand hit the top of his head with a loud "NO-o-o-o! He was as freaked out as I was. It never happened again but there were lots of looks whenever I was disrobed.

I don't hit my dog. He's intelligent and listens to my words. There are dogs that have vocabularies in the hundreds of words. Why should I think that mine is any different?

The allusions to harming/striking my dog are completely fictional and were put to paper to illustrate how dumb anyone that suggests corporal punishment looks to others. Seems that it works.

in peace

3. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

You remind me of someone I met about a year ago. He was drug in to the humane society by a thigh-high German Shepherd. The dog, before allowing his masculine owner to talk to the owner of the shelter, literally drug the man to every tree near the parking lot. There's about twelve. He then surrendered the dog. I took him for a walk a couple of days ago. He doesn't get out much because he looks so mean. All I had to do was pull a couple of times on the nylon choke collar and he realised that I wasn't going to just stand there and take his crap. That's all he needed. I didn't hit him or hurt him at all. I doubt that he even really felt the nylon choke. It doesn't take much to teach a dog to respect the leash.

As far as tie-outs go, why do you have to take your dog when you go to the store? Wouldn't it be much easier to leave him at home?

The dog needs to be taught some manners. I don't mean beating him and I don't think anyone else that mentioned it did either. Why do you feel he should be able to drag you around as he marks everything in sight? If you can give me a good answer, I might be able to understand your motivation in being thrown around by your dog. It can't be any fun, can it?

4. a 200 lb dog doesn't need a leash that massive. it only serves as a fulfillment of a stereotype that doesn't need to be fulfilled. i've had people scared shitless of a 6 month old puppy of mine because she was on a training (prong) collar. "if a dog needs a collar like that, its gotta be vicious!" is the crap i got with that one. your dog would be just fine on a 9 dollar pretty little one inch lead from wal-mart. dont give you dog more "credit" than he deserves. he's not gonna snap that leash in half. also, there is no circumstance where he should be tied out in PUBLIC long enough to chew thru a leash of any kind. just keep good tabs on the condition of your dog equip and be responsible. dont give ignorant people a reason to hate our dogs even more. hell, my wife likes those "cute" little studded collars for her 'staffs...and those are borderline in my book. people see studded/spiked collars and automatically click on the Dangerous Dog light in their head. help our breed out, and get a more reasonable walking set-up. and if he pulls so damn bad, train the bastard or dont walk him where there is so much stimuli for him to pull to. i haven't read all the replies to this post, so sorry if i re-stated something someone has alrady said. im out.

5. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Kensloft, what forum have you been reading? No one even implied that abusing your canine would allow you to establish an "alpha" role or encourage your dog to walk obediently.

Do you think I really care about you and your dog's big chain? Or how about that you look like a jackass having your dog pull you around the street? Great, hopefully you tell everyone you meet that your dog is an APBT, and that it owns you. Real cool. Maybe BSL isn't so bad when it's protecting the world from pitbull enthusiasts like you.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind now why this breed is going to shit. Because even the people who calim over & over again they love the breed, only love the image the breed gives them.

This entire thread disgusts me & I don't EVER want to be associated with the thug w/a chained pit bull crowd.

People can state over & over & over again that a huge chain is needed, but your not convincing anyone, just making a fool of yourself....because we all know better. If you don't trust your dog on anything but a 1 in. chain in public, then keep the dog in your yard so the public can be "safe". It's a total joke people. Grow up.

7. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

ETA-and no, I dont have a problem with chewing. If they chew they get smacked with the rope, and are sat down. They learn quickly that is not fun, but jogging along ON the lead is. As for chewing when they are not wearing a lead, well of course they would if you allow them to? I throw my leads in the closet (on the top shelf) and shut the door.

8. CRG

CRG Top Dog

It's a total joke people. Grow up.

9. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

What are you talking about? Who's posts are you answering?

10. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

I reiterate... The chain size fits into my hand well. It doesn't slip when it is gripped. When force is exerted it doesn't crush the hand or fingers. There is no stretch to the fabric which translates into instant response to any force that is exerted upon it. The stretch of textile is not there.

The chain is constantly being furled and unfurled in the hand as the distance between dog and walker moves in and out.

The constant macho/non-macho suggestions, because it is a chain, should bring to mind that education, about why it is used, is in order. People should get over what it looks like and see what it is. This is as dumb as saying that only the brindle coloured pits are dangerous.

The chain size, incidentally, has been downsized to three quaters of an inch.

I would trust my dog on a string but it would break if there was much of a pull on it. Some dogs just want to pull towards other dogs to prove... ? As in defensive driving, you are to watch the other guy's actions.

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Kenlosft, I hear you, trust me. But I do NOT believe you HAVE to use a chain. You use a chain because YOU want to, not because the situation calls for one.

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

He quoted a part of my quote where I mentioned how I correct a dog who tries to eat their leash. I pull my arm to one side and back, making the leash slap them in the face. This is what he was considering "abuse" I assume. What a joke. I do not have to beat my animals to become the alpha leader, I reinforce my status through treats and consistent control. I make the animal want to please me-his pack leader. I do not force him to do anything, all this will do is breed anger towards the leader of the pack(me)! On the other hand, I dont let my dogs rule to roost so to speak, they do not get away with biting gov't workers...growling and showing teeth over a bone to myself and strangers. I can assure you any one of those things would result in a dirt nap at my house. It probably just adds to your cred of a fugitive running because your dog bit an official, growling at people, but coming up and "bowing" to you. We all know the real reason you use a chain that large, no sense in spinning your tales anymore. You are not fooling anyone with saying one thing, and then posting extravagant stories afterwords to cover it up. Grow some of your own, and stop making the dog on a huge chain make up for what you lack.

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I wont use chain for the simple fact that it just shows people that those "Pits" can't be walked like a normal dog. I remember being in obedience class with a Sheltie man claiming he couldn't control his dog without a chain lead, while I'm there with headline news baby killer on a 6' nylon or leather lead. (The loss of cool points for me showing up sans chain was worth it.) I mean hell, if the folks in the show ring can do it with leads no thicker than a shoelace -- and some of those dogs are hot -- I can walk my dog on a "normal" lead and collar. Training and exposure make all the difference in the world.