1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Work rant....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ssdd, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

There's a lot of reasons people work a lot of hours. They have family to feed, bills to pay, etc. If you are the sole breadwinner, then you have to hussle to pay the bills and if that means working more hours, you just have to do it.

2. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

I ain’t knocking anyone for it, hope it didn’t come across like that. Was more I just don’t get the sense of pride in saying you work more hours. The aim should be surely to be looking to work less? That’s not me saying why work at all just rely on the tax payers to look after your family. Fair play to anyone grafting to support their family. It’s more I just view the idea of working 60 hours a week as something sad. I would be looking to escape doing that. No one gets rich on wages.

david63 likes this.
  3. Revelator

Revelator Big Dog

I work crazy hours just because that is what is required in my trade, plus, I like the money.

4. Michele

You did not come across in a bad way at all. I wish I could work less. The firm I work for is open 24/7. When I'm on vacation I have to check my work emails. It's just part of the job. But, the perks are very good!

5. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Was a outlaw from 15-32yo and have always been a entrepreneur of sorts. Now a complete citizen. One thing for sure is it takes grinding to get what you want out of life. However there's only two ways to build wealth #1 innovation # 2 invest. As far as working for someone else only to achieve their dreams. Fuck that shit not in the cards for me. So gog123 I completely understand where you are coming from.

gog123 and AGK like this.
  6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Congrats. Nothing wrong with getting some gravy after a lot of years putting in time.

I am hoping my hours track off some this year but thus far I am only hoping. LOL

S

7. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I don't know if it's getting gravy or I just don't feel like breaking myself anymore to get no where, which is how its been most my career. I'm all for hard work, so long as the compensation matches. I have no loyality to some job. I'm not that much more paid now than before where I'm not still part of the broke lower working class, I just spend less time actually working to make that same buck and I definitely aint killing myself for it physically or mentally no more, what I make isnt worth it. Like with anything in life, it comes with sacrifices. I'm not going on vacation or buying that new bass boat any time soon or even that new dog trotter but I'm also not missing out on my daughters swim or track meets either like I did my sons by working all the time. The older I get the less importance I put on making money and the more value I put on my time. I've never had a problem surviving and money comes and goes. Time, you can't get that back so it's priceless to me. I work for what I need and I hustle for what I want otherwise I'd rather pick up dog shit than be at work.

I'm sure liking what one does will change ones perspective some but I don't so I try to spend as little time as possible doing that. Lol.

8. slim12

I am not sure I say it with 'pride'.

The hours are what is needed right now based on the economy as well as our socio-economic situation in our current climate.

At the same time, I am not killing myself for the man' with nothing in return. There is a means to an end. In a couple of years, I will retire. Everything I have and have wanted will be paid for (except for taxes, so technically nothing is ever mine).

With that plan comes sacrifices (like everything). I did not take the job I have now fifteen years ago because the commitment would have stolen time from my son and all his endeavors (school, baseball, football, wrestling, BJJ). There were some sacrifices back then but nothing like it would be now. If a job back then infringed upon that time with him, I would have walked away. Simple as that. I waited til he was out of high school and on his 'own' (if that ever happens,??) and took the job about 7 years ago knowing full well that in 9 years I would be in position to retire in a really good spot.

I don't go and do a lot as I am just as happy in my yard listening to shit eating dogs bark as the next person is relaxing on some far away beach. My buddy's come to work talking about the latest phone or gadget or boat or car and I just spent $200 on chains, rings and swivels. I am just as content with that as they are with theirs.

At 57 I plan to hang it up and if god-willing nothing really bad happens we should be just fine to go and do and maintain the exact same lifestyle we have now.

The hours do suck but it is just one of the sacrifices to get to the other side. There is always sacrifice of somesort. I train both Electrical, Mechanical and Chemical Engineers in our plant for 4-6 months so they can then tell me how to run the plant. That may be my biggest frustration/sacrifice I have to be willing to deal with every day. I am not a company man per se, but as long as the check clears, I am their guy. And like most, our company is not what it once was and the money for the newer people is not that of times past, but that is their boat to float.

The kicker to that is that on my days off, and I feel like it will be the same after retirement, I work way harder at home than I do my job. Yesterday I got a late start but managed to clean dogs, clean water bowls, rake dog shit and chicken shit, then pulled the cab off a 2000 S-10, loaded another truck up to scrap. If I had not started late I would have got the truck to the scrap yard yesterday. Today will be the same.

I was not exactly born the son of a sharecropper and didn't walk to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways, but....I'm working whether it is here at home or at a job, and both are a means to an end.

I understand that the points of working long hours change when it is about taxes, or running your own business, or making someone else a ton of money for pennies in return. I get all that too.

But like life, eveyone has their own lot. This one is mine.

S

9. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Should see some of the cars, properties, toys the old heads have from their wages.... rich? That subjective. To a homeless person I'm rich. To Elon musk I'm broke.

I thinking working to retire in the house you actually want, the vehicle you want and the toys you want after a couple decades is rich enough for me. Company matches your 401k, gives you stocks, pays your short term and long term disability, every 5 years of service they give you another week of paid vacation, among countless other things to sweeten the deal.

I don't enjoy working 60 hours a week but I get 2 weekends and a monday-Friday off a month. Hard to bitch about that and getting paid enough to live with your head above water.

gog123 and Revelator like this.
  10. Michele

@slim12 taking care of your yard is another job. It's hard work.

11. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

He who does not steal or inherit will work until he dies.An old saying here.

david63, tomjones2, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  12. slim12

Sort of think this way but never seen it put in words. Great quote. It carries a ton of truths.

S

Revelator likes this.
  13. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Ehh I work as a truck driver so can't complain too bad 60 to 70+ a week ..luckily I got kids so they help with the dogs and chickens when I'm tired by the end of the week .so it's not too bad .put on some sort of podcast or music and I'm good .only problem is keeping up on some exercise

ben brockton likes this.
  14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Shit bud you can put one in shape with the best of them over the road lol

15. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

True luckily I'm home every night so it's easier when the animals gotta be exercised

16. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

I obviously still have my gig... higher ups pretty much said no S.O. gets hired and everyone agrees if they were an accident should happen on the roof while changing filters.... But on a corporate level no "offensive" shirts.

On another note, have yall seen the "pedo hunter" Chris Hanson with aggression videos on YouTube? Idk how it's not just videos of creeps getting beat to death....

gog123 likes this.
  17. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Dam I'm jealous of all yall ! 18 wheelers never stop rolling is my only defense . Thank a Farmer but thank a Dam Truck Driver for putting it on the table . I take care of these folks !

david63 likes this.
  18. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

lol now that’s a job I’d be willing to work 60 hours a week. Here in the uk we have videos of people confronting nonces that have shown up to meet what they think are kids. I wouldn’t be able to do it as I couldn’t stop myself from hurting them. Then how backwards this country is we will have laws fetched in to stop people catching em. Thought it’ll be selfish on my part to have that happen n then others not getting caught. Mind you was one caught on camera not so far from me. Got jumped and lost part of his ear. Cunt shouldn’t have even been out on bail, like I said the country is backwards.