1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Yard dogs/House Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mfern004, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Very smart advice, If your trying to keep several game bred dogs in the home at once and allowing them to run about and think everything will be fine you have got another thing coming.

Now when I had this dog in the house it wasn't my only dog mind you but it was the only dog I chose to keep in the home at the time.

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well just because the dogs original purpose is no longer legal for them to do doesn't mean a person can slack on keeping the dog true to it's roots.

Some people are fine with owning dogs that are from questionable lineage but others prefer to have the real deal when it comes to dogs. And besides fighting is not nor never was the only thing these dogs did, But it was the breeding behind them that allowed them to be so versatile.

Lose that and you have lost the American Pitbull Terrier.

3. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

I understand exactly what you're saying, and i learned growing up that everything has a job to do, we had had bandogs guarding the grounds, and the bulldogs were used for hunting. the APBT was bred off of working dogs, then thrown into the pit and bred according to their ability to entertain the people. i had a 45# bitch back in the day that lost her life to an alligator that wandered in. alligator lost an eye.

4. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Actually the American Pitbull Terrier was bred from a long line of dogs for the pit. They were not just any working dog stock that was "thrown" into the pit and then bred from then on. There were some very select breedings going on and things of that nature.

But it was the breeding behind the dogs, The breeding that made them the best fighting dog in the world that also made them the most versatile dog in the world.

Lose the gameness behind the dogs and you lose the dogs entirely.

What I am trying to make a point of is just because something is deemed "illegal" doesn't mean one should abandon what the breed is about, Say that herding sheep was made illegal tomorrow would you want to get away from say breeding a border collie for the traits that have made it the top herding dog.

Or if hunting birds was to be made illegal, Would a person want to get away from breeding a good quality Labrador Retriever or a good quality English pointer?

I know the answer for me is absolutely not.

5. mfern004

mfern004 Big Dog

I understand your point entirely. I asked specifically about "gamebred" dogs to avoid people answering about their petbulls, Amstaffs, Ambullies and what not. I would not consider those experiences comparable to the ones of people who keep dogs bred for high drive and performance (and I would consider a good catch dog among this performance group).

That's not saying anything about gameness in my dogs or anyone else's.

6. Boze

Boze Top Dog

sorry to tell you this butthat aint tested thats a good hunting dog but he aint no bulldog. and no offense but gameness is the ONLY thing that seperates this breed from all othr breeds without they aint bulldogs no more point blank

7. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

they aint bulldogs anymore regardless..whens the last time you pitted a dog with a bull? exactly. dog-on-dog doesnt equal shit.. just easy entertainment. hell a 500# boar with 3-4inch cutters sounds like more of a test to me.

8. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

all mine have always been dual purpose- outside (during the day) and house (at night)

9. yrrej

yrrej Pup

Gamebred dogs make the best pets because all their energy is focused on another dog. They tend to love people....

10. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

I heard that is not too good to do, as they do not acclimate to well to extreme weathers, my dogs are yard dogs.

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I think you save the house for the dogs your working, a place to bond, even if when there being worked there in a kennel next to the couch sleeping or in the porch for easy working and handling ability the next day with out winding the whole yard up because your not grabbing the others.

I'm an outside 24/7 guy but i have had indoor dogs and i think they use there brain in better ways indoors... but to all fairness either way will work if you make it work.!!!;)

12. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

all my dogs are housetrained. you have to have them ready to be put in different situations. inside time is a good idea imo

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

yeah i have a couple dogs in the house 2 hounds and Boris, but the rest are outside and Boris spends 75% of the time out side. if I'm at home watching TV I'll grab him but when leaving at 4 am each day makes it hard to run and tie out dogs in the AM.

House dogs form a good bond but i find they get the protective side coming out after a while.as apose to happy to see everyone attitude, that they should have above the kindness of indoor lodgings. and i find that crates are not as safe as i would make a hound carrier for the truck. but in door secure kennels i would look into if i had a bigg building i could dedicate for the dogs that would be ideal, and worth thinking about if the heat is the issue. But i'm getting off topic there a bit.:rolleyes:

14. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

its not too extreme, as they are exposed to ~each~ climate on a daily basis. its a routine-and that is a good thing. they look forward to each role-going out, coming in.
    they are so used to it as that is what i do w/ them from the time i get them, been doing it for 20 years w/ no adverse effects.

my mentor, they used to take a different dog from the yard into the house every night.

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I like that idea keep it fair, i have roommates with dogs so i have to meet half way but the yards out of bounds for there dogs! where mine are anyway.

this is my yard now(kinda snowy now): [​IMG]

16. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

with the proper exercise and mental stimuli my dog has made a great house dog.

[​IMG]

a couple days after getting him of of the plane
    [​IMG]

as for game bred dogs getting along with other house dogs, i think it is possible but there is always a chance of a fight and a its a very likely chance.

the first pic is of my dog and my sisters dog. my dog was still very young, there is no way i would let my dog "play" with other dogs now 13months,

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

gamebreds can absolutely get along. i have a male and female in the house as we speak. they were raised together and are fine as long as treats/toys arent broke out and they are fed seperately. but any other dogs? not a chance in hell. of couse they have an occasional spat, but you gotta know em well enough to see whats coming. they are allowed around each other ONLY when im here as i dont expect my daughters or woman to be able to handle the situation, and they shouldnt be put in that situation anyway.

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Boris is good with my folks dogs (2 lapso-apso's, 1 male, 1 female) if i bring him there (raised with since they were pups) but, other dogs no go.

the others i have are iffy around others cause they didn't get the intro to the lil dogs as pups. so it was more my doing ,

with these dogs miracles happen, I seen Boris caring for an aged beagle, right when he was at that 2yr old stage of rage! He found the compassion to care for the old frail hound(cleaning and leadin him to food). But anything healthy and willing its go time. A dogs a dog and i find will adapt to anything that pleases you the owner, and so they learn how to act in certain situations, whats aloud and whats not permitted!