1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

yard setup Cold shut (1/2 or 3/8?)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by eneas, Jul 21, 2012.

1. eneas

eneas Banned

do you think works better for yard setup cold shut 3/8 or cold shut 1/2?

2. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

use the one closest to the chain specs.

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

match it to the chain being used...

4. eneas

eneas Banned

i cant match it to the chain till i have buy it...im buying online...at my hardware store is not available.... i use 5/16 swivels and 3/8 and want to know what would be the correct size...

5. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

If you use the search box there's a thread on here about proper chain/yard setups.

6. eneas

eneas Banned

I know that but no one talks about size

7. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

You didnt look very damn hard then. Here's a clue......chain set up,page 2

8. eneas

eneas Banned

They talk size of the axle , not the collar cold shut

9. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

"You should buy grade 43-70 transport chain for starters 1/4" will do. And buy 3/8" cold-shuts to make your connections." Here ya go.

10. JTC

JTC Big Dog

all chain is manufactured to a specification, and all of the information is readily available. just for educational purposes so people that read this will understand how to find the information, here is a brief explanation.

Gr 70 Chain Specs

google is a great source to find out information yourself without having to ask on a message board and wait for an answer

per the link above if you were going to buy 1/4 inch grade 70 transport chain, which i would recommend, you would have a width on .46 inches, 3/8 is .375, so that would be what you would want to use. you wouldnt want to match up that grade of chain with a 1/4 inch cold shut because it is a softer metal and would wear out way before the chain.