1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Your Belief System

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dr. Lector, May 19, 2012.

1. Dr. Lector

Dr. Lector Big Dog

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Your Belief System[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Your belief system is the actual set of precepts from which you live your daily life, those which govern your thoughts, words, and actions. Without these precepts you could not function, so in order to take this journey, and to give it some meaning, you must answer the following questions for yourself. It will help you find out where you are, and as with any journey it helps to know where you are starting from. Please understand that this is not an easy thing for most people to do, but it is necessary to see ourselves as we truly are no matter how unpleasant this task may be. Even if you think you know the answers, please read the questions and think about the truthful answers that need to be given. If any part of what you believe is a lie, then you are not acting from a place of truth. For without acting in a way that is completely truthful, you will find that everything you do is a lie, therefore any attempt you might make toward resolving any problem would be in vain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]What do you believe, and why do you believe it? [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]The answers to these questions (if we are truthful) define who we are, how we act, and what we truly believe, but we must be brutally honest. People are very strange when it comes to being honest with themselves. We have ways of deceiving ourselves into believing we did the right things, and of course, for the right reasons, but did we? As they say, nobility is not a birthright, it is defined by our actions, which are choices formed by our beliefs. Our beliefs are also choices. If you want to know what your true beliefs are, look at the things you do, the way you treat not just yourself and other people, but everything around you. Look at the way you interact or don't interact with others. Most importantly look at why, or the reasons behind why you do what you do. What motivated your every thought, word, and action? For these things will tell you about who you are, and what you believe. It is amazing however to find that some people do not have any real beliefs of their own. They never take the time to really think and question, they just take on the attitudes and thought patterns of those around them. People have taken this acceptance of attitudes and thought patterns to the point of willingly being a part of systems that are killing them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]In order to find out what belief system you have, or have adopted, certain questions must be asked. The core of what and who you are starts with whether you Truly believe in one of the following and remember this is not about religion, this is about you.[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]A supreme being, [/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Just an existence beyond the physical of some kind [/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Nothing at all beyond this physical existence[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Since this is the most important aspect of defining who you are: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Have you given any thought at all to the belief system you have? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Did you make a conscious decision to believe what you do or not? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Did you just adopt your parents', spouse's, or other's belief system because it was what you grew up with or just wanted to do? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]If you did make a decision, did you make an informed decision, or did you just decide arbitrarily? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]If you did make an informed decision, on what information did you base your decision? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]What was the source of this information? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Was the source of the information just what you had heard from people who profess some sort of spiritual or religious practice? If so did you get your information from their pamphlets, info sheets, or instructional material? [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Have you read any "sacred texts"? (Extremely imperative!)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Did you research the history of the "sacred texts" or did you just accept or reject them for what they were represented to be? (Extremely imperative!)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Did you do any research, the in-depth kind you would need to do in preparing a thesis or dissertation? (Extremely imperative!)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]If you haven't done these things, how important are you to yourself? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]If you chose not to believe in a Supreme Being, why? At the time you made your decision, was it because of one of your answers to any of the aforementioned questions? There are more questions that could have been asked, to be sure, covering a greater variety of situations, but for the sake of brevity we'll move on.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]Regardless of how you arrived at your decision not to believe, you used the five basic senses to gather whatever information you used for that decision. On the other hand, there are many things beyond the abilities of your five senses to perceive. Some of these phenomena are detectible only through the use of technology. For example, X-rays, the ultraviolet spectrum, magnetic lines of force, sounds dogs can hear but we cannot, and the list goes on with examples too numerous to mention. There are many things that we don't know, and we should not be so conceited to believe that we know everything, or anything for that matter. So how could you make a definitive conclusion that something does not exist, based on just what you know, or think you know? Are you still open minded enough to listen to another point of view?[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]If you chose to believe in a Supreme Being, why? At the time you made your decision, was it because of one of your answers to any of the aforementioned questions? There are more questions that could have been asked for this also, but as stated before, for the sake of brevity we will move on.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]For those who believe in a Supreme Being, or God, think about this. What is God? What type of being is God. How does God communicate to people things they need to know, do, and be. Is it that God only talks to a few people, or does God talk to everyone everyday, and only a few people are listening, or more to the point, making the choice to listen? Would everyone hear God in the same way? Do you think cultural differences and personalities would affect the message? What do you think the message is? What do you think the common link between God and humanity is? Is it possible that a piece of God is in each and every person? If this message from God is for everyone, do you suppose it would have to be a simple one? Do you think God would make it so simple anyone could know and understand it, if they truly looked, without the need of any writings? What do you think another person could tell you that God could not? What do you suppose keeps the voice of God so hard to hear? Why is it said that God works in mysterious ways? What makes things a mystery? Things are only mysterious because we lack understanding. Are you still open minded enough to listen to another point of view?[/FONT]

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Yes,yes,no,informed,personal experiance,daily life,no,yes,researched,yes,because I can,sort of,dont know,dont know,probably,probably not,yes,dont know,dont know,yes,no,yes,nothing,temptation,dont know,dont know,and yes. lol good read.

3. I don't believe in god, goblins, fairies, witches or ghosts. Nor do I believe in any so-called sacred text. Why don't I believe? Common sense. Snakes can't speak, you can't split the sea, when people die they don,t come back to life three days later! THE FACT THAT WE ARE HERE SPINNING THROUGH SPACE ON THIS ROCK AND WE ARE ABLE TO HAVE DISCUSSIONS LIKE THIS IS AMAZING ENOUGH TO ME. I DON'T NEED SUPERSTITION," MIRACLES" OR "REVELATION" but to any believers out there good for you and no offence.

4. venom

venom Top Dog

Neither of my parents are religious, although my family as a whole is. I made the decision to believe in a higher power over the years and threw the course of time. With each blessing my faith grew. I know of the power it can have over you and your mind and the changes that can be made so fast that would have probably taken me a life time othewise, mentally anyways. Some may say mind over matter and the human mind is capable of anything but I believe it to be both and one would not have happened without the other.

As far as common sense goes, like the guy above me stated. I use to think along those same lines and a lot of people do. But honestly not a whole lot of stuff about this world makes sense, not just religion. You can put religion into the simplest terms and make it sound foolish. I know George Carlton has on more than one occasion lol. But the same could be said about a lot of beliefs and honestly I think its just as silly if not more amusing to suggest all of this... came from soup on a rock. I'm not discrediting all of science cus I believe both go hand in hand but in the simplest terms, us coming from a damp spot on a rock spinning in space seems just as far fetched as us coming from the man in the sky lol .

5. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

nope. i was in a auto wreck a few years ago. died on the way to the hospital a few times. ended up in a coma a little over a week. no bright lights or fire & brimstone it was just like sleeping

6. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

I didn't read too far into the OPs text because it just read like a preamble to a downward spiral of new age spiritualism, which, no offense, but its just rather monotonous...

...but the subject matter does interest me, no matter where the belief system originated from. To me the point is witnessing all that this earth has to offer, and not just in the way of human affairs, because outside of human affairs lurks an unkown infinity just within the limits of this earth, and that in itself is enough to leave any human who pays attention in awe. Its just a pity that for the most part most of humanity's beliefs so thoroughly saturate our conscious awareness that it leaves very little room for the possibility to witness that awesomeness that is the unkown but available nonetheless.

7. back2basics

back2basics Big Dog

Believe in something, most importantly yourself.

8. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

This thread toes the line, so keep the discussion civil.

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

My belief system is that Humans lack a lot of knowledge and understanding. The more knowledge we can grasp and learn the more we will be able to understand beliefs and be able to distinguish it from reality.

At one point in time we humans thought the world was flat and that if you sailed too far you might fall off of it LMAO. But with more knowledge and understanding we now know that the earth is round and that you can not fall off of it no matter how far you sail LMAO.

In the B.C. days if I showed a human a cell phone , they probably think I would be some type of God or Deity. LOL.

Have yall noticed that there have been a STREAM of Alien Invasion movies in the last year or so?

But of course our government would never lie to us about Aliens existence or would they? LMAO

Earth alone has more then a million different life organisms, so out of billions of stars and planets in the universe what are the odds that only earth would just so happen to be the only planet with life???

Also there have been a lot of ghost tv shows about paranormal etc...Before in the olden days if you mentioned ghost most people would just call you crazy LOL Now days more people are much more open minded due to more people experiencing the paranormal.

Things we humans dont understand or cant comprehend or prove without a doubt are just chocked up as make believe or science fiction.

To seek out real answers we must seek the TRUTH.

Like X-Files quote "The Truth is out there" LMAO

But dont believe me Im just Crazy, or am I? LMAO