1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

You've been attacked

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by findrodhere, Mar 13, 2006.

1. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

What do you do if a dog is attacking you(unarmed)? This dog isn't just barking, it's ready to take a bite out of you.

In this day and age with so many unpredictable dogs running amock, I believe it is essential to understand how to protect yourself. I'll post methods on stopping a dog attack later, but for now I'd like to know what people have done here in the past or plan to do should the need ever arise.

2. I would go for the eye, this will be the most accessible spot IMO. If it is biting, it will expose the eyes. Pop one out and see if it will not turn and run. If it doesn't run away and continues biting, pop the other one out. If that doesn't work, find and use a stick. If no stick is available, try kicking it in the gut, If that doesn't work, depending on where it has a hold, use your body weight to crush whatever is possible.

Heck, it's better than screaming and begging for help.

3. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Block side to side and try to kick the belly and sides, move to try to be anywhere other than standing right in front of the dog. If one can get behind the dog and grab its back legs, game over. Avoid the teeth. Someone once told me a dog is vulnurable everywhere besides its teeth. Oh, and look for anything to pick up the hit the dog with.

And pray is not a real badass dog.

4. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

once it bites what about a puch square on the nose. That should slow it down for a second or two. Or grab it by the throat and squeeze till his eyes pop out on their own.....

5. Well, when I was attacked by a chow I used my free arm to knock him hard on his nose. If you get them hard enough it causes a sneeze and most will let go giving you a chance to control the situation.
    If its staring me down growling I would look away and back away slowly not challenging the dog in anyway.

6. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Agree with Jen. The nose is the most vulnerable spot. The eyes are too far back on the head. Had a 70lb black chow about to tear me a new one and was lucky enough to have other people there to distract him long enough for me to put a large object between us. The key to survival is being able to keep your sh** together and don't let the dog know you are afraid. Also, if you can get your hand down his throat and boy will he be suprised. Lack of oxygen has a wonderful effect.

7. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

If you do end up, infront of the dog gab the sides of it's head around back of cheek area and swing it into something as hard as you can.

8. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Kill it. period. punching and kicking wont do much but if you can connect a really good solid kick to the midsection you may slow things down quite a bit. But be careful if you try hard to kcik and miss there is a good chance you will fall and that probaly get you bitten. I would say depending on the size of the dog and its intensity your probably going to get bit at least once... so take it and get the dog in close to you so you can apply proper technique to end the attack... and any future attacks provided that the dogs owner isnt around to stop you.

depending on who you are and your typical day to day attrie. I usaully ahve a knife and will with out question take a bit so that I can get my hands on the dog to end the attack properly... and possibly any other attacks unless an owner is there to stop me.

SOme dogs only take you to call their bluff to end the attack, other really want to bite you. in any case, if there is noone there to control the dog then you need to do what you need to do to survive.
    Take a bite and then pull the dog in close to you, grab and cover the animal and then use the knife.

if you have no knife... it depends on the size of the dog. I know they say never run froma dog... but screw that! the rule should be dont run unless you can get away, it depends on the dog, your physical ability and your environment.... RUN, head for trees that you can either jump into or run around. get up on a car or other high object. do what you can to get away from the animal.

if the dog is in shape and you know you cant outrun it. strangle the dog. take a bitepull the dog in close, cover the animal and drive its head and throat into the ground. it wont be able to bite you as long as you dont let go. you will get scratchup pretty good, but whats the alternative?

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I'd grab onto the ears or nose. (Or at least thats what I'd try to do. Never been attacked by a dog.) I've also learned in playing with my dogs that if they go to jump on me and I turn to the side, they tend to roll right off. That might buy a few seconds to get away.

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The first thing is: STAY CALM! I know, I know, this is a very hard thing to do. I've been attacked by a 90lb black Lab (while out jogging--had almost 30 stitches in my left forearm) & a lovely protection trained GSD (at work). Once bitten, you'd be surprised that you don't really feel the pain. Don't get me wrong, it hurts like hell, but it the brain's release of adrenaline really puts you into another frame of mind.

While you are staying calm, think. Figure out what you're going to do. Punching & kicking will get you absolutely nowhere & will only serve to infuriate the animal even more now that YOU are hurting IT. It will send him into an even deeper state of rage (or possibly change the attack standpoint of one from him being the aggressor to now him being the defender--in his mind).

IF you can, choking does work. After a short time of oxygen deprivation, the dog will become weak & even possibly pass out (depending on your strength & pressure) & you can break free. Being somewhat petite, I have personally grabbed the collar of a pit bull & strangled her just till she passed out (long story, another topic). So on a 60lb dog who's not going to redirect his bite, it might can be done.

The problem is depending on the breed, it will bite, release, & bite again. The GSD attacked me as soon as I walked into the room & just my luck had shut the door behind me. It grabbed me on my upper right leg & inner thigh but it was a bite, shake, release, bite again kind of thing whereas the lab just grabbed my arm (which I put out as a "sacrifice" to prevent the chest/neck attack he would've achieved) & shook.

Do NOT scream or yell. Try to outmaneuver the animal if possible-meaning, keep your body to the side & offer the dog an arm over your stomach or head.

Really, it's hard to say what will save you from an attack. Some dogs will bite then run, others will try to "finish" the job. And each dog is different so different tactics will work differently on each dog. Plus the dog's frame of mind plays a huge role.

Although I might not've offered any real good advice, but trust me, if you are ever in the situation you will understand what I mean when I say "Stay calm, don't scream/yell, & try to outmaneuver the animal".

Oh, & has for smaller dogs, a good hard kick through the goal posts will serve it's purpose. ;) (they are also easier to choke off of you)

bahamutt99 likes this.
  11. That's funny penn, with most dogs, anywhere you turn you will find teeth (if their not in hold that is). I don't think it will stay still for you to get to the back and pick up the legs. Avoiding the teeth whenever possible is a really good idea though:D

12. Mercepitdog

Mercepitdog Big Dog

I been bit by dogs quite a few times in my day. Back when I was in El Salvador, loose and feral dogs were the "norm". Some attacked, others went on with their business. However, a few times I did end up the unlucky one and got attacked. I think it was a rottweiler something mix. And I all remember is this dog springing from a small ditch under a bush when me and some buds were walking. Like fools we ran and I was the first one caught in process. I dont remember the pain from the bite so much. And mia said adrenaline gives you the powe for what I call "Flight or fight." Well "flight" wasnt working, so I had to fight. The dog grabbed my left theigh first, then went to grab my arm. I kicked the dog away the first time, and stood up. But I didnt run, I knew he was going to chase me. He ran up to me again and I was ready. I kicked the SH!T out of the dog under its jaw and it cried and ran away. Hell I ran the other way and hopped a fence. I was bleeding, but it wasnt nothing to bad. It did hurt but I was fine.

13. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

A boot shoved down in the open mouth and down the throat works well IMO

14. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Move and kick. No, the dog won't stand still but if you know how to move you can get the angles on it for a split second. I would seriously try to NOT take a bite. I can kick hard enough to do some real damage depending on the dog. Some dogs are so big and tough that in my case there would be very little I could do. I just hope I don't meet that dog unarmed. But lets be clear. A strong, grown man has the advantage against MOST dogs. A dog can scratch a little but their teeth and biting are their only real wepons. Humans have more options. Few dogs will stand up to a grown man who is not afraid of them. Just ask some serious PP or even sport dog people how hard it is to find a dog that can stand up to real pressure.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

It all depends on the dog or breed type. If confronted by an aggressive dog never run stand your ground and yell and clap your hands and stomp your feet shit sounds like a country dance lol most dogs will back down from loud noises especially if not in there own territory or out or there element. If that doesnt work and he starts progressing towards you and your in kicking range try and kick him as hard as you can to detour him away. If that doesnt work and he lunges at you your last resort is to use your forearm as a shield or as a scarfice place for the dog to bite. The reason for this is theres no doubt that he is going to bite you but its better to get bit in the forearm then your face your torso/stomach or even your legs why because if he bites your legs you will lose your foundation and fall and its alot harder to fight off a dog when your on the ground with him so use your forearm as the sacrifice target for the dog to bite. Then after spin around the dog like your going to ride him like a horse use your legs to squeeze the sides of his ribs and to secure him so he cant move you can even sit on him if you like but try and squeeze your legs as tight as you can to soffocate him if he didnt let go of your forearm yet use your other hand to grab the ear and pull down while you go up with your forearm most breeds except the game bred pit bull will let go at this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2006
  16. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Grab his front legs or get a grip in which you can pull them apart and try to break it's breastbone (you may have to pin the dog's back up against something, keep pulling the dog's legs apart, it'll break).

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
  17. Mouser

Mouser Big Dog

I was attacked by a buddies pit, that wasn't socialized properly. He jumped at my chest a bit my shirt ripping it off. The next time he jumped up, I managed to grab the sides of his head, and took him down. I choked him, and put my knee into his chest, using my weight to push him down. I feel like I was lucky, if I had missed grabbing his head, things might have been different. I agree taking a bit on the arm would be better than one in the neck, but I'd try to avoid that at all cost, most of us have weapons on us that we don't even consider. I always wear a belt to keep my pants from falling down, a belt buckle to the head is a great deteret to most breeds, a cowboy boot to the head, jacket around the arm, or comb to the eyes. Main thing is to not stop thinking. Mouser

18. scooter

scooter Big Dog

A baaaad dog got my little feist one time and a guy jammed his thumbs in the dogs nostrils till it couldnt get any air and then he let go. Never saw that one or heard of it before but nothing else would work on this dog.

19. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

If you can get a hold of the neck, grab it & hold it tight. Turn the dog around away from your body quickly, and kick it hard in the butt. Send that dog on its way. It'll see ya as a threat. I used this twice & it worked ok for me.

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Wow, some of you have really thought this through. I dont expect to get bitten, when I do my instinct is a swinging hand to clock them in the face to at least stun them so I can regroup from there. Thankfully, that coupled with screaming at the dog, acting threating myself,and kicking it has always been enough to get them to run off or at least the owner to come out and restrain his dog and appologize. I now carry with me a good folding knife, and will use it if I need to. The main purpose of me carrying it is for coyotes, wolves, and foxes......I know all the dogs out this way well enough (as well as the owners of them) that I would not immediately resort to the knife-and would probably use the old punch kick method until I either realize its not going to work, or they tuck tail. I would feel terrible about knifing one of my few neighbors dogs if I didnt need to, a rabid stray is a diffrent story I assume.

OT-I suppose there was one time I didnt resort to the, punch/kick/cuss out the damn dog, theory. Bitten by a chihuha who latched onto my ankle after several "trial bites" in the past. I was tired of being a chew toy,and the owner couldnt restrain him so when he bit severly I grabbed him by the back of the neck (like a cat) picked him up and dropped kicked the damn thing across the room. He left me alone from then on aside from a few "bad glares" my way LOL